How to do a Defensive Stance in the Martial Arts
Defensive Stance Purpose
Designed for moving away from an attack, overlooking a fallen opponent, defense from a rear choke and confronting the possibility of unknown assailants.
- Step back with the rear leg.
- Turn the rear foot at an angle and bend the knee.
- Lower your weight and lean into the rear leg keeping the back straight.
- The lead foot is angled with the knee bent slightly.
- The left lead hand is held above the lead knee.
- The rear hand is next to the neck, elbow down with radial artery turned inward
This stance is good when pedaling away from attacks to the lead leg or stepping back while blocking with the lead hand. This stance concerns the feelings of adaptability and flow and is a defensive posture.
Defensive Stance Mindset
Stationary Defensive Stance
This stance is used when for overlooking a fallen opponent or when you have finished a self-defense technique with your partner in class. Once the technique or finished (annihilate, control or escape), you will stand in Defensive stance.
Note: when you have been taken down in class, do not get up until your opponent is in a defensive stance.
Mobile Defensive Stance
Again, you are moving back so it is defensive posture. The idea is that you are moving away from an opponents punch and using the lead arm to deflect any strikes while bringing up the rear hand to protect against a rear choke from behind. You step back to remove your body from the area of attack and prepare a defense.
- Moving away from an attack
- Overlooking a fallen opponent
- Defense from a rear choke
- Confronting the possibility of unknown assailants.
Defensive Stance Applications
- Looking over a fallen opponent with open focus scanning while hand protects neck from surprise attacks
Better peripheral vision
- Stepping at an angle so you are less likely to fall backwards
- Flow back into the stance and flow forward into a punch
- Easy to go into a forward or reverse roll – while stepping back, you turn towards that rear leg and side / forward roll away from the attacker
Defensive Stance Basics
Defensive Stance Step-by-Step
Defensive Stance for Knife and Star Throwing
Rick Tew is an internationally acclaimed Sensei or teacher in the martial arts and founder of CMS – College of Martial Science and NinjaGym®. He runs Live-In Short and Long term Martial Arts Training and Adventure Camps in California and Thailand.
Utilizing the martial arts as a gateway to excellence, he created his personal development programs. His courses are for everyone who wants to integrate mind, body, and spirit to access his or her true potential.
Rick Tew’s Winjitsu, The Mental Martial Art System for Success, has helped his students to overcome their fear and become successful in what they love and passionate about.