How to do a Reverse Roll in the Martial Arts
If you haven’t done so already, please read Rick Tew’s Intro to Martial Art Rolls and Falls by following the link below:
Designed for falling backward and/or broadening the distance between oneself and an attacker.
- Lift the lead leg forward and sit straight down onto the heel of your rear leg
- Lower your head arching your back, eyes focused in front of you.
- Allow the momentum of your body to carry you into the roll.
- Keep the head to one side as both legs go over the opposite shoulder.
- Keep the feet tucked during the roll coming up into a defensive position.
- Trip on something going back
- Pickup objects while rolling back
- When being pushed back onto ground
- Roll up onto objects such as a table
- Distract opponent in eyes (Finger strike or thrown contents into face) – go into reverse roll at an angle forward to the rear of opponent for an attack.
Reverse Roll in Practice
Duck – Jump – Reverse Roll Training Martial Arts Program California
Bo Staff – Jump – Reverse Roll – Kip Training
Jumping Front Kick – Beach Kick – Reverse Roll
Learn Martial Arts Online with our Martial Art Home Study Program and Ninja Training – Black Belt Distance Learning Course!